ECONOMIC GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT (about Peru)ECONOMIC GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT (about Peru)
Conduct library and web research about your assigned country, and answer EACH question below (1, 2, and 3) with a paragraph of 200-250 words. You must use at least TWO academic sources in addition to data sources from Part 1 of the assignment.
Think of this as a 600-750-word position paper (but answer each question in a separate paragraph). A position paper is an essay that explains, justifies and recommends some particular plan or policy. Your paper should cite all sources used, including those from Part 1.
Planners working at the scale of the entire country must consider the complexities of that country. As you gather more information, think about your country’s current situation, particularly conditions that confer advantages and disadvantages for economic development. Some factors you might want to consider as you gather information include the following: (You do not need to include all of these; this is just a list to help get you started).
o Key resources such as energy, natural resources
o Current economic activities, including exports, imports, major sectors, and their distribution across the different regions of the country
o Institutional/political factors (international trade agreements, special economic zones, export processing)
o Human development indicators (education and literacy, health, workforce, gender equality)
o Cultural diversity and age structure (in other words, is there a large upcoming working-age cohort, or are there many young or old people to support?)
o Environmental issues
o Technology availability
Essay Question 1: Develop a plan (35 points)
Formulate and describe a new economic development plan that your country could implement. Please focus on just one or two major goals or programs; we do not expect you to solve all of your country’s difficulties or imagine a complete overhaul of its economy. If you choose too many goals or programs you will not have room or time to describe each sufficiently.
Essay Question 2: Explain the rationale for your plan (35 points)
Explain why you think this plan is appropriate given what you know from data collection and additional sources. Describe how your plan capitalizes on the country’s human or other resources and/or helps to overcome the country’s challenges. It might help to indicate what obstacles your country will need to overcome in order to pursue further economic development. This is a good place to use the outside research you have done to justify your plan. Make sure that you clearly specify the advantages and disadvantages of your plan.
Essay Question 3: Explore possible results of the plan (20 points)
Suggest who might be the potential winners AND losers WITHIN your assigned country if this plan were implemented; why would these people (or environmental resources) enjoy gains or suffer negative consequences?
Format and submission:
• Write about a paragraph (200-250 words) to answer each of the questions. Answer each question separately. Label each question 1, 2, and 3.
• Please TYPE your answers. They should be double-spaced and in a 12-point font. Your name and the name of the country assigned to you should be in the upper left hand corner of the first page. Your name and the page number should be on the header of every page.
• Provide citations for ALL evidence you present (including that used for previous assignments). Citations should be in APA format and include both in-text (parenthetic) citations and a bibliography at the end of the assignment. Please note again that you must conduct research beyond the CIA, Census Bureau, and UN websites used in Part 1 to complete Assignment 2 successfully.
• Please save your file as LastName_country.doc or docx
• SUBMISSION: Upload your answers as one file to Safe Assign via the link provided in Blackboard. You must upload the document as a Microsoft Word Document (.doc. or .docx), NO .PDF or .ODX!! Technical difficulties happen, so plan ahead and submit early. **If you experience technical difficulties, please contact the Division of Information Technology Help Desk and have them create a ticket documenting your attempt to upload the assignment and bring this to class. Late assignments are not accepted!
___ Plan uses information from the CIA, Human Development Programme, and at least two outside sources.
___ Uses research from outside sources to support argument.
___ Uses specific examples rather than general or vague language.
___ Proposes a plan that is reasonable in scope and addresses one or more of the country’s needs
___ Describes plan with sufficient detail to understand who will be involved, what resources will be developed, what regions will be involved or affected, and other relevant particularities
___ Provides thorough explanation of how the plan capitalizes on the country’s human or other resources and/or helps to overcome the country’s challenges.
___ Provides substantial reasoning for how plan will address country’s needs.
___ Argument is sophisticated, plausible, and clearly articulated.
___ Identifies likely winners and losers of the plan and indicates how and what they will win or lose
___ Provides an explanation of why the plan is likely to affect these groups in the ways described
CITATIONS, PROOFREADING, AND GRAMMAR:
• Formatting errors and/or missing citations will result in deductions of up to 8 points.
Examples of citation errors:
• Incorrect citation format used (APA format is required)
• In-text citations not used (footnotes are not acceptable)
• Bibliography/Works Cited page missing
Please note that information from your sources should be paraphrased, or, if direct quotations are necessary, placed within quotation marks. Failure to properly quote, cite, or acknowledge sources is a violation of academic integrity.
• Misspellings and egregious grammatical errors will result in deductions of up to 8 points.
Examples of grammatical errors:
• Sentence fragments
• Capitalization mistakes (especially if the country name is not capitalized)
• Confusion of they’re/their/there, you’re/your, its/it’s
• Incorrect use of apostrophe
• Calling the CIA World Factbook the CIA World Facebook
ECONOMIC GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT (about Peru)ECONOMIC GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT (about Peru) Paper details Conduct library and web research about your assigned country, and answer EACH question […]