Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
1. Discuss the disclosure requirement on accounting policies, and identify at least two (2) examples
of the most commonly required disclosure. Explain the key ways in which the examples you
provided are useful to financial statement users. Analyze Verizon Communications’ disclosure on
accounting policies, and give your opinion on whether or not the information is helpful for decision
making. Provide a rationale for your response.
2. Explain the importance of the management discussion and analysis section of an annual report.
Select three (3) items from Verizon’s management and discussion analysis of the annual report
that could be useful to potential investors. Provide three (3) specific examples of how the three
(3) items you selected could influence a potential investor’s decision to invest in Verizon.
3. Describe segmented information, and explain the way in which companies determine segments.
Identify at least three (3) advantages and three (3) disadvantages of segmented financial data.
Give your opinion on whether or not the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Outline the
manner in which Verizon segments its financial data. Suggest key actions that Verizon’s
management can take in order to improve the company’s segmented financial data. Provide a
rationale for your response.
4. Analyze the various types of auditor’s reports, and determine the impact that the auditor’s report
has on a company’s ability to obtain financing from a bank. Identify the type of auditor’s report
issued on Verizon, and speculate the manner in which you believe banks will perceive Verizon’s
5. Use at least two (2) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other
Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all
sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your
professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s
name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in
the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Analyze and explain the requirements for full disclosure in financial reporting.
• Evaluate the importance and impact of full disclosure or non-disclosure in accounting practices.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in intermediate accounting.
• Write clearly and concisely about intermediate accounting using proper writing mechanics.