The self-assessment and self-reflection comprise one page in which you have to answer the following questions:
1 What have you learnt (what knowledge have you gained) by doing the assignment/examination portfolio task?
2 What skills, abilities and orientations (attitudes and values) have you accomplished?
3 What strengths could you apply in your future life and work environment?
4 What shortcomings do you need to address in future?
5 To what extent have you achieved the learning outcomes formulated for each study unit? (List the learning outcomes that you have achieved for the selected assignment/examination portfolio. No marks are awarded if these are not listed.)
• list of all the sources consulted
All sources consulted are cited in the list of sources consulted, including newspapers, magazines, policy documents, tutorial letters, study guide, prescribed book and people consulted.
do as much references in the assignment to the sources consulted as possible (1-2 per paragraph) with the relevant page numbers on the source.
IMPORTANT: Sources for the essay
1. Study guide for the module, as the main source (please, see this web link as the study guide is too big to send it as attachment:
2. Prescribed book for the module, also as the main source:
Fourie, PJ (ed). 2008. Media studies: policy, management and representation, volume 2. 2nd edition. Cape Town: Juta.
3. One more additional source that the writer would choose.
1 INTRODUCTION (3)
In your introduction, you need to tell us what you are planning to do in this assignment. You must write in the third person, and not in the first person. More guidelines on how to write an introduction will be posted on myUnisa under the ―additional resources‖ tab.
2 MEDIA POLICY AND REGULATIONS
2.1 The nature of media and communications policy
Briefly explain the five (5) stages of the policy process. Your discussion should include a brief definition and overview of each stage as well as one (1) example to demonstrate your understanding of each stage.
The stages of the policy process include the following:
1. 2.1.1 problem
2. 2.1.2 development of policy
3. 2.1.3 decision making
4. 2.1.4 execution of policy
5. 2.1.5 evaluation of policy (10)
2.2 Using relevant examples from case studies, discuss any three (3) of the five (5) laws that guide the practice of any type of media in the Republic of South Africa.
These laws are as follows:
1. 2.2.1 The Imprint Act 53 of 1993
2. 2.2.2 The Legal Deposits Act 54 of 1997
3. 2.2.3 The Competition Act 89 of 1998
4. 2.2.4 The Film and Publications Act 65 of 1996
5. 2.2.5 The Electronic Communications Act 36 of 2005 (15)
3 MEDIA AND COMMUNICATION MARKETS
3.1 Define the following terms with practical examples. You will need to give your own examples from the media to show that you understand the concepts.
1. 3.1.1 Complete/perfect competition
2. 3.1.2 Monopolistic competition
3. 3.1.3 Homogeneous and heterogeneous oligopoly
4. 3.1.4 Monopoly (12)
4.1 News as representation
Select any news article (newspaper or online) and discuss in detail how the reporter uses the characteristics of news values to contextualise the story. Select only four characteristics of news values which are more prevalent in your selected article. You should focus on the news values as mentioned by Galtung and Ruge (1965) in your prescribed book (De Beer & Botha 2008:235). Define each characteristic clearly and then indicate how the reporter applies your selected news values.
You will be required to attach the news stories as an addendum or appendix. If you fail to attach your selected news story, you will lose marks. (10) 50 x 1.8 = 
5 CONCLUSION 
6 SELF-ASSESSMENT AND SELF-REFLECTION 
Conclude your portfolio activity by answering the following questions:
• ● What have you learnt (what knowledge have you gained) by doing the portfolio task?
• ● What skills, abilities and orientations (attitudes and values) have you gained?
• ● What strengths could you apply in your future life and work environment?
• ● What shortcomings would you need to address in future?
• ● To what extent have you achieved the learning outcomes formulated for each study unit? Remember to specify these learning outcomes.