12. Please provide and describe the five sets of needs that Abraham Maslow believed people act to fulfill (in their order of importance, lowest to highest). Was Maslow accurate in your opinion? How can Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs be used in the business world?
13. Describe Dr. Phil’s Hierarchy of Needs. How is his hierarchy similar to and different from Maslow’s? Which one is a more useful in motivating and managing others in your opinion? Why?
14. You own a clothing store in the mall. How can you use Dr. Phil’s and Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs to manage and motivate your employees?
15. Describe the two dimensions of Herzberg’s Motivation-Hygiene Theory. What elements affect each dimension? How might your professor use this theory to motivate you to do better in his class?
16. Does Vroom’s Expectancy Theory make practical sense? How might you use it in setting personal goals for others?
17. What is an organization? What are the specific characteristics of an organization?
18. As the president of a fashion company why would it be vital for you to have good delegation of authority? Describe the three key steps you as the president of the company would take to delegate authority throughout your organization.
19. Besides Coca-Cola Company, provide an example of a decentralized organization. What makes this company decentralized? Why is it important for the organization to be decentralized? Besides a textbook publishing company, provide an example of a centralized organization. What makes this company centralized? Why is it important for the organization to be centralized? How does decentralization in an organization require effective delegation?
20. Identify and describe the basic forms of organizational structure. Provide an example of an organization (besides the ones named in the textbook) that falls under each organizational structure. Briefly explain why each organization belongs in this category.
21. How would you define the term ‘corporate culture’? Identify and describe the four basic types of corporate culture. Which culture are you most comfortable with and why?
22. What is meant by business ethics? Why are business ethics so important? How are business ethics influenced by the personal ethics of individuals in the business? What are the factors that affect the level of ethical behavior in organizations?
Jim & Darden at American Flatbread
George Schenk, Founder of American Flatbread