Personal Experience Monograph (PEM) Guidance:
a. Personal Experience Monograph (PEM) Guidance:
(1) Each Soldier will write a PEM. The intent of this project is for each NCO to demonstrate his ability to articulate his ideas in writing effectively and allow the SGI to evaluate those writing skills.
(2) Soldiers will compose their document in accordance with the Army Writing Style.
(3) The PEM should be worthy of publication in a professional journal.
b. The American Heritage Dictionary defines a monograph as “a scholarly book or article on a specific or usually limited subject.”
(1) Monographs must be based on a personal experience of the author and a worthy topic.
(2) This project will be based on any combat leadership experience while serving in the military.
(3) The experience is not necessarily a positive or negative event, however, an event that others could learn from if published.
(4) The monograph must include a thesis statement, a narrative describing the experience, analysis of the experience, and lessons learned from the experience.
(6) Each NCO is encouraged to reference historical and/or doctrinal material.
NOTE: Selected PEMs may be submitted to the Infantry or Armor Magazine or other publications.
c. Plagiarism: Webster defines plagiarism as taking and passing-off someone else's ideas as one's own. In other words, a plagiarist is one who uses another's language, concepts, organization, etc., without attributing the borrowed material to its original source. Any plagiarism will be considered an honor violation. Any NCO who commits an honor violation will receive no credit for the project, and will be subjected to possible administrative action. NCOs who commit plagiarism are subject to immediate dismissal from Manuever Senior Leaders Course and documentation on his Academic Evaluation Report.
NOTE: 1. Show Slides 56 through 70.
2. Inform the Soldiers of their PEM due date.
3. Use IH4 (PEM Grading Rubric) to evaluate the Soldier's PEMs
Personal Experience Monograph (PEM) Guidance: a. Personal Experience Monograph (PEM) Guidance: (1) Each Soldier will write a PEM. The intent of this project […]