Write to your government representatives about a policy choice & why you disagree
REPRESENTATIVE LETTER / CITY COUNCIL MEETING PROJECT
Instructions: Complete only one of the following options.
– Worth: 10% of overall grade
o You are to write to one of your government representatives about a policy choice they made that you disagree with and why. Representatives to consider writing to are local city council members, federal or state congressional representatives, federal or state senators, governors, or the president. Be sure that the representative you choose to write has some jurisdiction over that particular issue.
o Your 3 page lettershould include the following
§ 1. An introduction of yourself.
§ 2. A thesis about why you are writing the letter.
§ 3. Arguments (along with quantitative and/or qualitative evidence) showing why you think their policy position is incorrect. For any evidence used, you must cite the sources used and provide a bibliography.
§ 4. Arguments (along with quantitative and/or qualitative evidence) showing why you think your policy position is better. For any evidence used, you must cite the sources used and provide a bibliography.
§ 5. Conclusion summing up your final thoughts.
§ 6. Bibliography (see last page for instructions on this).
o Here is an outline of how the letter should look and what to include in each section:
Dear Honorable (Representative’s name),
1) Introduce yourself – Information to include is age, where you live, what school and class you attend, etc.
2) Explain something that you have learned about American Government.
3) Thesis – Explain why you are writing the letter. Specifically state the policy they made you disagree with and very briefly why you think it is incorrect.
1) First Body Paragraph – Provide a reason why you disagree with their policy choice. Be sure you back up your claim with researched evidence (qualitative or quantitative data).
2) Second Body Paragraph – Provide a policy choice you think they should adopt instead. Provide researched evidence (qualitative or quantitative data) to show why you think your position is a better choice.
1) Sum up your concerns, providing final thoughts and implications about your position
2) Add your feelings about the important job that people in their respective position have in making decisions that will affect Americans. Thank them for their time and consideration.
Paper Specs (for both)
o 12 point, Times New Roman only. o Double spaced, 1 inch margins. o Points will be deducted for poor grammar and spelling.
o Please use MLA formatting in your paper.
§ In paper
· “Obama argues that the healthcare law provides millions of indigent individuals health insurance.” (citation name, page #).
§ In bibliography for internet source
· Name of author. “Article Title.” Source Name. Date published. Date accessed.
§ In bibliography for book source
· Name of author. Book Name. Publisher, Year published.
Write to your government representatives about a policy choice & why you disagree REPRESENTATIVE LETTER / CITY COUNCIL MEETING PROJECT Instructions: Complete only one […]