How does the notion of social structures of accumulation relate to the notion of long swings in economic activityUS Political Economy Spring 2014
Final Assignment: D0 # 1 Choose two between 2, 3, 4 and 5. Paper should be at least five pages. Due May 7th.
I. Historical transformation in capitalism can be analyzed in terms of changes in the social structures of accumulation.
A. How does the notion of social structures of accumulation relate to the notion of long swings in economic activity? What makes it different than just business cycles?
B. It is said by some social analysts that the seeds of economic decline are planted in the period of rapid accumulation and growth. Explain how this statement relates to the notion of social structures of accumulation? Illustrate it with an example from Monopoly Period of U.S. capitalist development covered in class.
2. Railroads were the leading sector of the Competitive Capitalist period in the United States.
A. Why did the railroad network grow so rapidly after the Civil War? What are some of the factors?
B. What are some of the important contributions Railroad Corporations and the industry provide for the U.S. economic development?
C. How did the RR expansion contribute to the period of decline after 1870s?
3. “In Running Full: The Breakdown of Competition” the author makes the case that competition in both the steel and other sectors led to a consolidation process that by 1900 resulted in monopolistic capitalism.
A. Explain how the process of capitalist competition led to falling profits in industries like steel.
What made industries like steel particularly vulnerable?
B. How did industries come to deal with the problems of price competition discussed in part a ?
What were some of the benefits of consolidation?
4. While competition between capitalist asserted downward pressures on prices contributing to falling profits in the homogenization of labor article it is argued that the systems of labor control also needed to be addressed to increase profitability.
A. What is and how did the drive system alter the labor process and provide greater leverage for the employers over labor?
B. Briefly explain the corporate policies that were implemented to discourage the worker unity created by the implementation of the drive system.
C. How did these innovations provide another avenue for the capitalist to increase profitability?
5. Bluestone argues in the Great U‐Turn that the 1970s marked the end of the America Dream. Bluestone argues there was a U‐Turn in the American Dream over the past several decades. What evidence does he offer?
A. By 1970s capitalists were confronted with a falling rate of profit. What are the causes of the profit squeeze of the late 60s and 1970s according to Bluestone?
B. Bluestone and Harrison argue that there were several responses to the profit squeeze, briefly explain them and what role did the government play ?
How does the notion of social structures of accumulation relate to the notion of long swings in economic activityUS Political Economy Spring 2014Final Assignment: […]
Financial Analysis: Helen Of Troy, Limited (HELE)
INC 3332- NOTES ON RESEARCH PAPER
The project requires you to conduct a complete analysis of a business. You will assume the role of a financial analyst and your task is to advise the company’s investors and creditors about the company’s prospects.
I would like the project write-up to be a readily comprehensible and condensed report of YOUR WORK (i.e., not a detailed compilation of all the information you collected). Accordingly, your write-up should be 10-15 pages in length and you may add an appendix with tables and charts. In essence your paper is a detailed Executive Summary of your research. Please cite any sources of data.
YOUR ASSIGNED COMPANY IS: Helen Of Troy, Limited (HELE)
Your paper should be organized according to the following sections:
1) Identify the economic characteristics of the industry. In this section you should gather some background material on the primary industry(ies) in which the company operates. This knowledge will allow you to compare your specific firm with similar companies with which it competes. (15pts)
2) Identify the company strategies. Firms establish business strategies in an attempt to differentiate themselves from competitors. Briefly describe the company’s strategy for success and, most importantly, the sustainability of profits generated by the strategy. This information can be gathered from the 10K and Annual Reports. (15pts)
3) Assess the Quality of Earnings for your company. The main objective is to assess the degree of conservatism in your company’s reported earnings. This assessment should help you to determine how predictable earnings are and the degree of risk inherent in your company’s performance. Typical questions to ask are: a) were there any unusual of infrequent items reported on the income statement? b) Were there any discontinued operations? c) Were there any extraordinary items? d) Was there an accounting change? e) What method(s) did your company use to value inventory?) (15pts)
4) Analyze Profitability and Risk. Use ratio analysis, common-size analysis and cash flow analysis to evaluate the current and past performance of the business and assess its sustainability. You should definitely compare your company to some peers in the same industry (see section 1 above). Comment on your company’s performance trends, problems and strengths. Include an assessment of liquidity, capital structure, debt management and long-term profitability. (55pts)
Financial Analysis: Helen Of Troy, Limited (HELE) INC 3332- NOTES ON RESEARCH PAPER The project requires you to conduct a complete analysis of a […]
Write a comparison of Macbeth and Lady Macbethaper instructions:
Respond to one of the following essay prompts with at least five, well-developed paragraphs. The essay should use specific details and use specific passages from the play. Quality essays will consist of an introduction, thesis statement, distinct body paragraphs, smooth transitions and a sound conclusion. Adhere to the standards of formal English – free of grammar and mechanical errors (proofread well). Finally, be certain that the writing is entirely your own words.
1. Write a comparison of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. Show how each character views the prophecies and subsequent murders. Describe their reactions and evaluate how each character behaves at the play’s end
Write a comparison of Macbeth and Lady Macbethaper instructions:Respond to one of the following essay prompts with at least five, well-developed paragraphs. The essay […]
“At Fault” by Katie ChopinPaper instructions:
For your project, you should choose a character from the novel you have read. Explain what makes that character uniquely American. Please feel free to think outside the box. There are characters within these novels that may not be legally or technically American but are tremendous examples of the American spirit. This gives you a lot of opportunity to really explore a character that interests you. You will need to incorporate many aspects of the novel to prove your case. Be sure to look at issues such as imagery, dialect, social and cultural influences, and point of view, among others.
“At Fault” by Katie ChopinPaper instructions:For your project, you should choose a character from the novel you have read. Explain what makes that character […]
Agricultural Reform in Jamaica Agricultural Reform in Jamaica Click here for more on this paper……. Click here to have a similar A+ quality paper […]