The Project Paper focuses on a suggested topic related to art. The project will reflect your views and interpretation of the topic. This project is designed to help you stretch your mind and your abilities to be the creative, innovative, and critical thinker you already are!
Choose one (1) of the topics from the list of topic choices below. Read the topic carefully. Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (750-1,000 words) that responds to each of the items described in the topic.
For the topic you choose:
1Â Â Support your ideas with specific, illustrative examples. If there are questions or points associated with your chosen topic, be sure to answer all of the listed questions and address all of the items in that topic. If your topic asks you to do several things related to the topic, be sure to do each of the things listed.
2Â Â While some of the topics tend to lend themselves toward particular writing genres, you are not restricted to the specific format suggested for the individual topic. For example, you may do an â€œinterview,â€ a â€œproposal,â€ a â€œletter,â€ a â€œshort story,â€ a â€œblog,â€ an â€œessay,â€ an â€œarticle,â€ or any other written genre for almost any of the topics. The project is intended to be fun as well as informative, so feel free to be creative with the delivery of your information.
3Â Â Use at least three (3) good quality academic sources, with one (1) source being the class text.
4Â Â Note: Wikipedia and other similar Websites do not qualify as academic resources. You are highly encouraged to use the Resource Center tab at the top of your Blackboard page.
Note: Â Your instructor may require you to submit your topic choice for approval before the end of Week 5.
Topic choices (pick 1):
- Office Art Memo. Memorandum. Your boss, who knows you have been taking a humanities class since he pays for your tuition reimbursement, has tasked you with managing the art budget for your company, expecting you to choose various pieces of art for the new corporate offices. Â (Note: Replicas of the works are acceptable since they are more cost-efficient and you are working on a budget.) Â Include the following:
1Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Identify three (3) examples of 19th century Impressionist painting or sculpture and three (3) Post-Impressionist works. Explain how the six (6) pieces of art fall into these two (2) styles.
2Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â In a memo, describe the appearance of your six (6) choices to your CEO so he or she will know what the art looks like and where it would be placed in the corporate offices.
3Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Explain why each piece is considered to be historically significant.
4Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Explain how each piece â€œfitsâ€ your companyâ€™s overall (or desired) corporate image. Keep in mind that a piece of art is supposed to â€œsayâ€ something about the owner, so describe what would these pieces of art say about your company.
The Project Paper will be graded on:
- The level to which the instructions were followed.
- The extent to which all four (4) parts in the topic were addressed.
- The adequacy of information, examples, and details which support the general claim or main Â idea.
- The clarity and relevance of the explanations and descriptions.
- Adherence to standard rules of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- The inclusion of three (3) required references (two  additional sources besides your textbook) documented using APA style.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions specific to the selected topic. (Note: Students can find APA style materials located in the Additional Resources section of their Student Center within their course shell for reference)
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to historical changes.
- Explain the importance of situating a societyâ€™s cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context.
- Examine the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.
- Identify major historical developments in world cultures from the Renaissance to the contemporary period.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the study of world cultures.
Write clearly and concisely about world cultures using proper writing mechanics.